Friday, April 16, 2010

DVD Review: Sheet Cake Secrets by Sharon Zambito

If you're anything like me, you do not have the opportunity to take alot of cake classes - they are far and few between even in a city as big as Montreal!  The way I have been learning has been to purchase DVDs online and watching them over and over.  I have started building an extensive library and decided I would start a new blog feature where I revies these discs to help my fellow cakers realize the wealth of knowledge available in DVDs and give them an idea of which DVDs are worth investing in.  The first dvd I'm going to review is Sharon Zambito's Sheet Cake Secrets:


This two-disc set covers everything you'll need to know for taking an ordinary sheet cake and turning it into something extraordinary!  Sharon walks you through various techniques for adding that WOW factor to your sheetcakes.  Most cake designers, myself included, would cringe at the fact that a client would ask for a sheetcake.  I mean honestly - other than an edible image, how sensational can a sheetcake really be?  Now, I find myself trying to talk customers into ordering a sheetcake instead!  Sharon teaches the following techniques for making your sheetcakes pop include:
  • run sugar
  • chocolate transfer
  • frozen buttercream transfer
On top of these key techniques, Sharon teaches how to enhance these designs with various trims from fondant ribbons and strings to fondant cutouts and flowers.  My favorite part of the DVD is the airbrushing techniques, especially using magnets to block bleeding through.  Everything Sharon teaches in this DVD set can basically be done with tools you probably already have in your arsenal.  If not, the tools Sharon uses in the DVD are also available at her website.

For more information or to order this DVD, click here.  At 35.95 (plus S&H), this DVD is worth every penny.  Sharon's customer service is some of the best out there.  She processes orders quickly and her shipping is just as quick!  If you are looking to invest in quality cake education at a reasonable price, this is the place to start!

Until next time, Happy Caking!!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your review and am interested in reading more of your cake decorating dvd reviews in the future. I am taking cake decorating classes at a craft store and am interested in trying the SugarEd DVDs. I heard good things about the Flawless Fondant DVD, but I wasn't interested in the sheet cake DVD until now. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sheet cake DVD is next on my list along with the buttercream DVD. I have the Totally Topsy Turvy DVD and love it to pieces! She made the process easy to follow and made my first topsy turvy cake a complete success! I would buy ANY DVD by Sharon Zambino!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Sheet Cake Video along with all of her other videos, and I agree, I will buy any video by Sharon Zambito. She's a beautiful lady, always smiling, and always so helpful.

    ReplyDelete